- to take the tone of a moralist 占据着道德制高点贬低别人
- break through one’s reserve 打破某人的原则
Oh, come, come!
come, come 这句口语的意思是得了的了，我都说到这个份上了，你还不知道嘛
the seed stretch itself Stretch is more often used when describing cat.
it bores clear through it with its roots.
bore 动词原形意思是挖，掘，凿洞；我们通常见到的形式是 boring/bored，有厌烦的含义。短语 bore through A with B，用 B 穿透 A。
- flash back at sb 指光反射到某人身上
- white with rage 气的脸色发白
For a long time you had found your only entertainment in the quiet pleasure of looking at the sunset.
chock by sobbing
chock 有哽咽之一，还可以用来形容车辆拥塞。choke 也可以形容被某物呛到了
On one star, one planet, my planet, the Earth, there was a little prince to be comforted.
- miraculous apparition 奇妙的景象
- a sprinkling of 一点点，少量
She began very quickly to torment him with her vanity.
but I have a horror of drafts.
If you are beyond reproach, that means no one could find anything to criticize about you.
beyond reproach 形容无可挑剔，十分完美。
Then she added: “ Don’t linger like this. You have decided to go away. Now go!”
- consumingly adv. 强烈地（consume vt. 消耗, 消费, 耗尽）
- insubordination n. 反抗，不服从
- pluck up courage 鼓起勇气
the entire planet was crammed and obstructed by the king’s magnificent ermine robe.
cram 塞满，猛吃。在表示仓促备考，也就是到临时抱佛脚的场景是，也可以用 cram 来表达：I haven’t study at all yet, i’ll have to stay up tonight and cram.
And because he felt a bit sad as he remembered his little planet, which he had forsaken, he plucked up his courage to ask the king a favour: “I should like to see a sunset. . . do me that kindness… Order the sun to set…”
forsake 遗弃，抛弃。口语中我们会听到：For God’s sake：看在上帝的份上。当我们抛弃了 God, 把 God 从表达中去掉，就是 forsake。
- deep dejection 深深的沮丧
- The tippler brought his speech to an end, and shut himself up in an impregnable silence.
补充：an impregnable silence 深深的沉默；impregnable 通常用来形容坚不可摧的，毫不动摇的。impregnable fortress（坚不可摧的堡垒）。
A man s rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.
一个人越是有许多事情能够放下，他越是富有。—— 亨利·戴维·梭罗 《瓦尔登湖》
- “To whom do they belong?” the businessman retorted, peevishly.
retort v. 反驳，顶嘴
peevishly adv. 就是没好气地，恼怒地
- a sigh of regret 惋惜地叹了口气
- dare confess 勇于承认
- The planet now makes a complete turn every minute, and I no longer have a single second for repose.
repose 休息，它是一个文学术语，和 rest 或者 relax 比更正式一些。
repose 也是一种无忧无虑的心境，repose sth in 就是把……寄托于
- cast a look around 看一看周围
- defend oneself against 保护自己以防受伤害
- leave sb alone 让某人独自…
- ”My flower is ephemeral,” the little prince said to himself,”and she has only four thorns to defend herself against the world. And I have left her on my planet, all alone!”
ephemeral adj. 短暂的，短命的；反义词：eternal 和 imortal
- And never would they make a mistake in the order of their entry upon the stage. It would be magnificent.
entry n. 入口。make an entry. 就是“入场”的意思。make an entry into a building. 进入大楼。
除了有入口的含义，我们也把词条叫做 entry 。
如果你要参加某个比赛需要提交参赛作品，它也叫做 entry。你可能会在张贴的告示中看到：The closing date for entries is 31st December.（提交作品的截止日期是 12 月 31 日）
- of no account 无足轻重，毫不重要
- But it happened that after walking for a long time through sand, and rocks, and snow, the little prince at last came upon a road. And all roads lead to the ::abodes:: of men.
of no fixed abode 居无定所
- on sb’s part 就某人而言
- of no use to 无用
But there is no shop anywhere where one can buy friendship, and so men have no friends any more.
But if you come at just any time, I shall never know at what hour my heart is to be ready to greet you…One must observe the proper rites…”
A job interview could be considered a ::rite::, after all it’s sth everyone has to go through before landing a first job.
- a tremendous amount of time 大量的时间
- at my leisure 当我有空的时候
- “What moves me so deeply, about this little prince who is sleeping here, is his loyalty to a flower–the image of a rose that shines through his whole being like the flame of a lamp, even when he is asleep…”
- let oneself be tamed 让自己被驯服
- stroll along 闲逛，散步
One runs the risk of weeping a little, if one lets himself be tamed.
- in no apparent hurry 毫不着急地，不慌不忙地
- in one’s track 就地，突然
- When I succeeded in catching up with him he was walking along with a quick and resolute step.
- absent-minded 心不在焉的